AEE – Institute for Sustainable Technologies (AEE INTEC) is an independent research association which was founded in 1988. Currently over 60 employees from 8 different nations are working at
AEE INTEC. Furthermore, the institute regularly awards dissertations, master theses and internships.
The activities of AEE INTEC include:
- fundamental as well as applied research
- national and international R&D projects
- cooperation with universities, technical colleges, other research facilities and industry
The three major departments of AEE INTEC are “Thermal Energy Technologies and Hybrid Systems”, “Buildings and Retrofit” as well as “Industrial Processes and Energy Systems”.
The Austrian flagship-project giga_TES is dedicated to the development of large-scale seasonal
thermal energy storage concepts for integration in district heating networks. The project will develop novel materials, components and construction technologies for giga-scale thermal energy storages with which the share of renewable and flexible sources in district heating networks can be rapidly
increased. The goal is a cost-effective design and operation of water-based thermal energy storages from 50,000 to more than 2,000,000 m3 volume at elevated storage temperatures. The development will be optimized with the help of numerical simulation techniques at different levels.
The master thesis is dedicated to a discussion of the general operating conditions and dimensioning of large-scale storage concepts (temperature distribution, peak loads, hydrostatic pressure distributions etc.) and their implementation in district heating systems. This includes the evaluation of existing systems as well as numerical simulations of the thermal storage in a district heating network.
Outline of the Master-Thesis’ Research
- Analysis and evaluation of existing large-scale thermal energy storage systems
- Simulation of thermal energy storage concepts and configurations as part of district heating systems
- Technical and economic analysis and interpretation of the results
- Solution-focused, independent and motivated attitude to work
- Knowledge in the fields of thermal engineering and numerical simulation
- Interest in sustainable technologies
- Work on a master-thesis embedded in an international research-project, salaried position
- Supervision by experienced researchers and highly qualified technical support
- Period: Starting January 2018, lasting for 6 months
Contact: Georg Engel, phone +43 (0)3112 5886-262, email@example.com, or
Ingo Leusbrock, phone +43 (0)3112 5886-261, firstname.lastname@example.org